Mailbox migration between Exchange organizations–content index issue

 

When you move mailboxes from one Exchange organization to another, you need to perform several preparation steps, as I wrote before on my blog. However, you can still face several strange issues. One of the issues I have found few days ago was quite strange. When creating migration batch, user object was left in Syncing state for a long time and eventually end up in Failed state. Exploring the migration log discovered this message “Relinquishing job because of large delays due to unfavorable server health or budget limitations”. Not descriptive at all. After some time, I realized that ContentIndexState of the database where source mailbox resides is in Failed state. From that point, things were quite easy to resolve. Run the EMS and execute following cmdlets:

Stop-Service MSExchangeFastSearch
Stop-Service HostControllerService

to stop these two services. After the services are stopped, go to the folder where your mailbox database is stored and delete the Exchange content index catalog for the database (it is in the same folders as database, named as database GUID). After you do it, start the

MSExchangeFastSearch and HostControllerService services by using Start-Service cmdlets. When they are up and running, create and start migration batch again. It will work without issues.

Leave a Reply